Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reflection: ICT's and Learning

February 16th class

What I liked most:  It was hard not to like the TED presentation by Pranav Mistry detailing the use of his augmented reality technology.  Augmented reality technology is a concept that I have been aware of for a few years, but mostly through science fiction, so to actually see someone physically manipulate digital information projected onto a wall is exciting.  The techie in me relishes the idea of these near-magical technological innovations coming to market, but Mistry ends his presentation with a poignant thought: this technology will help us to be more connected with our physical world instead of "machines sitting in front of machines", it will help us to be more human.  It's easy to become too physically dedicated to technology and machines so that we are less connected to the world around us (think texting and driving).  This technology will help us find a more healthy balance between the digital and physical worlds.

What I agree with:  I agree with the statement "smart technology will bring the classroom to the world".  It seems that we are experiencing a shift towards informal and non-formal learning.  With personal technology becoming more prolific, now people have the potential to learn anywhere at anytime thanks to smart technologies.

However, I don't think that non-formal learning will take the place of formal learning.  In fact, the same smart technologies that benefit anywhere, anytime learning also benefit formal learning environments.  Interactive whiteboards, SMS surveys, mobile learning, and other smart technologies have been successfully implemented in many schools.  I think, in general, the more innovative technology schools adopt, the better.

What I disagree with:  It's going to take some more convincing for me to see t-learning (television learning) as an influential learning tool in the future.  I easily see the value of e-learning and m-learning (mobile learning) and why learners would be persuaded to use the technology.  However, because of the nature and perceptions of television, I don't think it will take off as a learning device.  Televisions provide (relatively) non-interactive, entertainment media and I think it will be near impossible to break that tradition.  I can see televisions being given the capabilities to provide interactive learning media, but it seems that to achieve that you would have to turn the television into a computer with internet connectivity.  In that case would it then just be e-learning?  It would a least blur the line.  I could be completely wrong.  I just need to see it to believe it.

I'm still curious about:  I wonder how or if technology will change K-12 education in the United States. I'm under the perception that the education system is stuck using outdated models of learning and that making substantial changes to the system are nearly impossible.  Will there be a point in the future where, due to the effects of new technologies, schools will be forced to fundamentally change?  Will schools someday only provide distance education?  Will new technologies enable schools to provide true one-on-one education?  Will schools continue to exist as we've always known them, or will they become some new institution that provides education in a radically new (presumably better) way?

No comments:

Post a Comment